O: Tonight we welcome a special guest – who co-starred with me in the drama “Hanazakari no Kimitachi e – Ikemen Paradise” – Ikuta Toma.
T: Hi, everyone.
O: Good evening to everyone too. From now on, we’ll be connecting all you listeners to the studio via the telephone. Well, what should we talk about?
In the drama “Hanazakari no Kimitachi e”, Horikita [Maki]-san who acts as a high school student, disguised the fact that she was a female and enrolled in an all boys school. Therefore, we shall be recruiting untold secrets from the listeners of this program. The plan is, Toma and I will be guessing what exactly the secret is. The rules are simple, as we chat over the phone, listeners will provide hints or clues about the secret. The person who guesses what the secret is first is the winner.
T: Right.
O: Okay, without further delay, let’s connect to the listeners who are harboring secrets. Hello~
R: Hello.
O: Thanks for tuning in. Good evening.
R: Good evening.
O: And your name is…?
R: I guess you could call me Ririka, in short.
O: Ririka-chan, how old are you?
R: I’m 15 years old.
O: 15 years.
T: Oooh.
O: Oooh. Well now, what have you been doing up till now?
R: Presently, I’m studying for my end of term papers so I’ve been revising till late at night.
O: Oooh, so you’re in the middle of revision.
T: A real high school student, yeah.
O: Yeah, a real high school student. [Translator’s note: This is what they literally said. I have no idea if “real high school student” is a slang for something else.] So have you seen the drama?
R: Yes, I have.
O: How do you find it?
R: I found it extremely interesting, I was laughing throughout the entire show.
T: That makes me happy.
O: By the way, who do you like – Sano or Nakatsu?
R: Nakatsu.
T: Ahahahaha!!
O: HEY!! I ---
T: Thank you very much! Ririka-chan, thanks!
O: Well then, see here, Toma-kun is like a Nakatsu to Ririka-chan.
T: Yes, that seems like it, isn’t it? Do you have anyone whom you like, presently?
R: No I don’t.
T: Oh you don’t? But from now on, you probably will have lots of romantic relationships yeah. Since you are a real high school student.
O: Well well well well, probably so.
T: Ahahaha.
O: That’s great, isn’t it? In any case, all the best for your studies. Toma-kun, say something to encourage her too.
T: That’s right. All the best for your studies! Do work hard for your end of term tests!
R: Th-thank you.
O: Well, now we’ll be trying to pry Ririka-chan’s secret from her. How long have you kept this secret?
R: Since I was in sixth form. (Primary 6)
O: Sixth form… So that would mean that you have been keeping this secret for about 3-4 years.
R: Yes.
O: Does this secret concern someone else? Or is this your personal secret?
R: The secret is mine.
O: So it’s your personal secret. Does anyone else know about it?
R: Within my family, only my 5 year old brother knows about it.
O: Only your 5 year old brother? So, the person that you wouldn’t want to find out about this secret is…?
R: My father.
O: Oh, so you don’t want your father to know about it. Your 5 year old brother knows about it, and you don’t want your father to find out. If your father happened to know about it, what would happen?
R: Wellll… If I answered that, that would become an immense clue.
O: An immense clue? I see…
T: Well then, something would probably happen that involves your father, if your secret were revealed.
O: However, it’s Ririka-chan’s personal secret.
R: Yes.
O: This is tough, man. So, it doesn’t seem like your secret is going to be exposed?
R: Nope.
O: “Nope”. But your 5 year old brother knows about it. So he’s being understanding about it?
R: Nah, he just thinks of it as a game.
T: “Just a game”? Uuuh, this is tough, man.
O: Once we’ve come to a conclusion, we will write our answers down. If you know what secret it is, write it down. Do you have any more questions you’d like to ask?
T: Well, what could it be…
O: This is difficult…
T: Uh huh. Well, could you maybe just give a small hint?
R: Welllll… I’m collecting [something].
T: You’re collecting something?
O: Well, has anything good resulted from this secret?
R: It’s for the sake of good things that I’m keeping this secret.
O: For the sake of good things.
T: You’re collecting something? [Translator’s note: Toma is confused, here. I swear. He’s starting to repeat himself.]
R: Yes.
O: How close can we get to the answer based on what we have here? We have to be precise when giving our answers, for example, “You’re collecting this or that”.
T: How is it going to go then?
O: We’ll go by the nuances?
T: By the nuances? Hehhehhehheh. (laughs). Nuances?
O: Well because of that certain thing she can gain happiness, and to her 5 year old brother who treats it like a toy, and a possibly bad ending if her father found out. In addition, the only person in the family who knows about it is her brother?
R: Yes.
O: Erm, erm, erm…
T: This is tough. [Oh Toma, I think you just don’t understand a 15 year old girl’s heart.]
O: Right! Well, now that we’ve listened to the hints, we [Toma and Shun] will try writing our answers.
T: Okay!
O: Now that I think about it… Ririka-chan, won’t you just give another itty bitty hint? [I love how Shun tries to wheedle stuff out of her.]
T: Hahahaha. [Toma is obviously amused.]
R: Fufufufu… [That’s the literal sound here, which I can only take to mean Evil Laughter.]
O: Pleeeeease. Ririka-chan. Pretty pleeeeeease.
T: Ririka-chan, pretty pleeeeeease.
O: Pretty, pretty pleeeeeeease.
T: Pretty pleeeeeease. Ahahaha. [I can’t decide for myself if Toma is imitating Shun to amuse himself or if he is sincerely pleading for more clues. I would have to listen to the original podcast to find out.]
O: Is there anyone within your circle of friends who know about it?
R: There isn’t anyone who knows.
O: Not even your friends or the people around you?
T: She didn’t even tell her friends.
O: So it’s really the case that no one other than your 5 year old brother knows.
R: Yes.
T: So what could she be collecting?
O: Truly, what could she be collecting? Furthermore, it’s something that her brother sees as a toy.
R: Well, normally, to see that Thing as a toy…
O: Probably not.
T: Oh, so it’s hard to perceive that Thing as a toy… I see, I see.
O: Shall we go for it?
T: Right.
O & T: This is tough, man.
T: You’re 15, yeah? And it’s something that your brother knows about. But you don’t want your father to find out.
O: And if your father were to find out, he would probably get angry. And if you were to tell us your father’s reaction, it would be a big hint.
T: Hmmm… Something that would make her father angry…
O: What could it be? My imagination fails me, Ririka-chan.
R: Eheheheh. [Definitely Evil Laughter we have here.] Well, the two of you would probably have it.
T: We have the Thing?
O: We do? [Poor confused guys.]
T: Something that the both of us have at the present. Well, I’m gonna write my answer down. Shun-kun, have you written yours?
O: Written mine down.
T: Well, so have I. Ahhahaha. [This sounds like Evil Toma laughter, which can only signify the coming of more Terrible Things.]
O: Hold on for a minute. Toma-kun is still writing his answer.
T: I’ve finished writing.
O: Here we go, Ririka-chan. We will be revealing our answers in the order which we’ve written them. If we’ve guessed correctly, please say that it’s the correct answer.
R: Okay.
O: Here I go. I think that Ririka-chan’s secret is [that she’s collecting] mobile phones.
T: You’re collecting mobile phones.
R: That is incorrect.
O: Oh, so you’re not collecting mobile phones…
T: She can’t be collecting those, could she? (laughs)
O: Why did I write this down, I wonder? [Yes, Shun, we wonder too. Good guess though. I would think that it fulfills most of the clues that were given.]
T: I don’t get it. I wrote my answer after Shun-kun, but I thought [my answer] was totally impossible. For some reason, I wrote “Chest hair”. [Translator’s note: Oh. My. Goodness.]
O & T: Ahahahahaha!!! (Hearty laughter)
T: Incidentally, Shun-kun and I do not have any chest hair. [Yes, Toma-kun. Neither you nor Shun-kun have chest hair. I hope this fact proves helpful to her end of term papers. Just to clarify, I have much love for Toma, he’s so funny. But he can just say the silliest things, which makes me respond in snark. Ahhh Toma.]
I didn’t get it, but somehow I just wrote it down.
O: Ririka-chan, and the correct answer is…?
R: The correct answer is secret savings.
O: Secret savings… If your father found out about it, how would he react?
R: I always receive money from my father when I go out to play, so if he were to find out about my secret savings I think he would demand that I hand him the money.
O: I see.
T: So that’s why you’re secretly saving up.
O: Now, is this okay? Would your father know about this through this radio show?
R: It’ll probably turn out alright.
O: Well that would be for the best then. It would be a pity if you were suddenly told to hand over your secret savings because of our chatter tonight.
T: Fufufufu. [Do I sense more Evil Laughter from Toma?]
O: Are you secretly saving up for anything that you want in particular?
R: Actually, from time to time, when I go out to play, I take some of my secret savings so that I have a little excess to spend.
O: Oooh, I see.
T: So you’re taking a systematic approach, yeah.
O: Incidentally, how are you hiding the money?
R: I put the money in a candy box which I bought from Disney land, and then placed it in the corner of the room.
O: I see ---
T: That’s cute.
O: Yeah, it’s rather endearing.
T: To a 15 year old, you would definitely need these things.
O: True, true.
T: Not the cases where you’ll be drinking at six-thirty. [This is what Toma literally says, but I have no idea how it fits into the conversation. I’m probably missing something here.]
O: Hahahaha~.
T: The both of us.
O: Yeah…
T: Well, we’re acting as 16 year olds (referring to the Hana Kimi drama),
O: Ririka-chan, are you turning 16 this year?
R: Yes I am.
O: So, you were born between January and April?
T: You’re 16 this year?
R: Oh, sorry. I meant to say that I’m 15 this year.
O: Oh, so you’re 15 this year.
R: Yes, I apologise.
O: In other words, you’ll be turning the age of our characters next year.
T: Yeah, hahahaha.
O: That’s bad, ain’t it.
T: Yeah that’s bad.
O: Thank you so much, Ririka-chan. Thank you. Even though we couldn’t guess the correct answer.
R: Please keep trying.
O: Please continue to tune in to the drama, okay?
T: Yoroshiku [literally means: Please treat me favorably. Figuratively: I hope to garner your continual support.]
R: Yes, I will be watching the show consistently.
O: Onegai shimasu. Please continue to tune in to the radio broadcast after this.
R: Ah, yes.
O: Thank you very much.
T: Thank you.
R: Thanks to you both.